Millet Veggie Burgers2 min
I love me a good burger- veggie burger that is. Sometimes it’s so nice to pick up something and eat it. The problem is that most veggie burgers are full of processed soy, texturized vegetable protein (TVP), seitan (pure gluten), or other non-beauty foods. These delicious, gluten-free veggie burgers are made instead with actual vegetables and B-vitamin and amino-acid rich millet and amaranth.
2 Tbs raw coconut oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 large onion, finely minced
3 cups of spinach, finely chopped
2 stalks of celery, finely minced
2 small carrots, peeled and minced
2 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbs. cumin
½ tsp. black pepper
½ cup dry millet
1 cup amaranth flour (or other gluten free flour)
Pre-prep: Be sure to soak the millet in water overnight and rinse thoroughly before using.
1. In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat, then add the millet and simmer until the millet has cooked to a softer texture- around 15-20 minutes. Pour through a strainer and set to the side to cool down.
2. Saute garlic in enough coconut oil until gently cooked, then add onions, and stir until the onions become translucent. Add the spinach, celery and carrots and cook gently for a few minutes, then add the sea salt and other seasonings and stir in.
3. Add the cooked millet and stir well. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
4. Turn off the heat and add the amaranth flour to the mixture. Stir well until everything starts to “bind” together and the mixture cools.
5. Clean the pan so you have a nice clean cooking surface.
6. Form the cooled mixture with your hands into patties on a plate, about 3-4 inches in diameter.
7. Heat pan to fairly high temperature (to prevent sticking), and add the coconut oil.
8. Saute each pattie on both sides until firm and browned.
9. Enjoy! You can put them right on salad, or if you want them to be more like traditional burgers, cut the patties into thirds and pile them on heart of romaine leaves or collard greens. Top with clover sprouts, and add some mustard and/or organic ketchup.